Friday 11 July 2008

Hind's Feet on High Places and Adam: God's Beloved

When God created man, He created in him a need for intimacy. This need pushes man to search for something to satisfy it. He will not know true peace until his heart finds God, who is Love, and rest in Him. This search begins a long and perilous journey to attain the relationship which God wants with man, a perfect union with the Shepherd, where deformities and fears become transformed.

This blossoming relationship of love between God and man is described in Hannah Hurnard's modern allegory, Hind's Feet on High Places. It is the story of a young woman named Much-Afraid, and her journey away from her Fearing family and into the High Places of the Shepherd, guided by her two companions Sorrow and Suffering. The book takes its title from Habakkuk 3:19, "The Lord God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places."

Hind's Feet on High Places is a very interesting book with many lessons to impart. I realise that I have much in common with Much-Afraid - I need to learn Acceptance-with-Joy and Bearing-with-Forgiveness. Eventually, I hope to leap like a deer.

I also just completed Henri Nouwen's book - Adam: God's Beloved where it is evident that though we may not be physically handicapped like Adam, we are much handicapped in other ways. Through Adam, I learn the importance of communing with God and finding that perfect rest in Him.

No comments: