Tuesday 24 June 2014

It's been a while...

Realised that my last post was in Apr 2011 here... it has indeed been a while... a long while...

Much has happened since then. 

What brings me back here? 

Well, perhaps I remember this space where I used to record some musings which is somewhat different from what I record on Facebook.

Perhaps the most significant event that struck me most recently which demands some deeper reflection would be the 3rd church camp "Inside & Outside" (Acts 2:42-47) from 5-8 Jun 2014. Some of the things the speaker Rev Edmund Chan said has resonated within me since then.



1. Your foundation is unseen but becomes evident in times of crisis. (cf. Parable of the Wise Man and the Foolish Man Matt 7:24-27)

I recall the various crises I had experienced. One very recent traumatising one was when Violet was diagnosed with AVM last July. The Almighty God, the same God who cradled me in His arms, saw us through challenging moments where the circumstances which we experienced seemed contrary to the prayers we have been fervently pleading with God for. An example would be the prayer for a smooth angiogram, for a clear mapping of the arteries. What happened was the process was not smooth - Violet had a violent allergic reaction to the contrast used and the arteries could not be mapped out at all. Why? Why? Why? We asked in bewilderment. 

But Romans 8:28 comes to mind ~
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

And Proverbs 3:5-6 always come to mind ~
"5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight."

We did not understand why and the circumstances were not encouraging but everything was in God's hands. Prayer warriors gathered round, sometimes beseeching with tears falling gently, sometimes in torrents. Violet appeared calm in the midst of it all. Her foundation was evident in this crisis and it greatly encouraged me. 

God, the miracle-making God, in His own time, transformed the AVM into an AVF which could be surgically excised. Violet is still living with the residual effects of the surgery and she still experiences discomfort and altered sensations. But looking at her, one could not tell. Her foundation has been built on the Word and it shows. And it is admirable.

2. Be the salt and the light (Matt 5:13-16)
Salt has a distinctive identity. We have to stand apart as Christ's own. Do I have such a distinctive identity? I recall a conversation I had with a student towards the end of last semester. I mentioned that I am a Christian and he said "no wonder". I wonder what that means...

As light, we have to show the way. We are to draw people to God. In my sphere of influence, am I building up the body of Christ? Am I intentionally pointing people to Jesus? Am I M.A.D. (making a difference)? 

3. There is an urgency to be united as a church family (Gal 5:1-26)
It is truly not easy to be the salt and the light. Satan is a master at sowing discord. 
The lack of humility, the lack of patience and the lack of security tear unity apart. 

We cannot walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.
We need to walk in love and keep in step with the Holy Spirit. 
With God's help, we will be victorious, not only in our church family but also in our family.



4. We are witnesses (Rom 1:16)
Divine appointments require active obedience.
God sends people down our paths. We should make the best of such opportunities to make Him known.
"I have something to share with you." " Can I pray for you?" " Is there anything preventing you from receiving Christ?"

It is not going to be easy but as Zech 4:6 records ~
"Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the Lord of hosts."
It is best accomplished by His Spirit.

With God's help, I will endeavour to know Him and make Him known.



To conclude, someone said - God "broke" you because He wants to use you. 
Use me Lord - take me, mould me, fill me. 



 

No comments: