Tuesday 14 April 2009

Trip to North America 27 Mar-10 Apr (II) - Niagara Falls

From NYC we took the Amtrak from Penn Station to Niagara Falls, Ontario.

After we got off the train we walked to our B & B place, Always Inn - a quaint little Victorian-style house that is more than a hundred years old. We stayed in a lovely pink room and the hostess, Sharon, ensured that our stay was cosy.
Niagara Falls is the highlight of this entire trip - I just couldn't get enough of its awesomeness. God's creation is absolutely marvellous.
Before I even caught sight of it the first evening we arrived. I could see some smoke-like thing in the distance - it's the mist created by the waters roaring down. And the first sight of the falls in the golden evening sun is beyond description.
And as it was early Spring, there wasn't many people around and it felt like I owned the falls. I saw it from a distance, from behind it, from above it...



Lessons learnt:
1. To be available
On the 9-hour train ride, I got to know this lady of Jamaican origin - Shirley. We made friends and I found out that she was actually brooding over the fact that she had just visited her elder sister who is stricken by stroke in Philly. She said she was glad that she had someone to talk to and it seemed that God had sent me to her. In my heart, I was thinking - Wow! I was an instrument used by God to cheer a stranger up.











2. To see God in nature and marvel at His works and His love for us
You have to see the Niagara Falls for yourself. God is amazing - the Niagara Falls is just one of God's many creations. It can't happen by chance. Something as gorgeous as this must have a creator. And the incredible thing about the Falls is that it still thunders through the seasons and even though it's really extremely cold and there's ice.
I'm reminded of Psalm 8:3-4a and how God must really love us...
When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained, What is man that you are mindful of him, ...

No comments: